Mushroom Series: Creamy Beef and Mushroom Soup
Creamy Beef and Mushroom Soup
1 tbsp pastured butter, or other oil of choice, divided
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 8-oz package mixed wild mushrooms, such as cremini, button, shiitake, and portabellas, cut or torn into bite-sized pieces
1 lb lean cubed beef stew meat, preferably grass-fed
2 tbsp low-sodium tomato paste
1 cup dry red wine
64 oz low-sodium beef broth
1 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp dried thyme
4 tbsp heavy whipping cream, optional (or coconut milk)
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat a large saucepan or 4-qt stockpot over medium heat. Melt in half the butter (or oil) then add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms and cook until tender; remove to the side.
2. Heat remaining butter (or oil) and raise heat to medium-high. Season meat with salt and pepper, then add to the pan and brown on all sides; you may have to work in batches.
3. Blend the tomato paste into the browned meat and rendered juices until it becomes a slightly darker red in color and coats the meat. Return the cooked vegetables to the pan, add the wine, broth, sage, and thyme. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce to simmer over medium to medium-low heat. Cover with a lid and simmer 1 1/2-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
4. Once the beef is tender to the bite, season to taste with salt and pepper. As an optional step to slightly thicken the soup, take about a cup out and puree it in a food processor or blender and add it back to the rest of the soup. Or, do a few quick pulses with an immersion blender.
5. Remove the pan from heat and blend in the cream. Serve immediately.
- Servings per recipe: 4 main-course servings
- Per serving:
- Calories: 377.7
- Fat: 19.7 g
- Saturated fat: 8.8 g
- Cholesterol: 129.0 mg
- Sodium: 194 mg
- Carbohydrate: 10.3 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Sugars: 5.1 g
- Protein: 36.8 g